Rate of suspensions and expulsions of students with an IEP by race/ethnicity.
B-4B Data Information
What is B-4B?
Where can I find my data?
When was the data collected?
The 2019 Strand Report includes data from SY 2016-2017 (data collected between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017). Findings of noncompliance are based on data from SY 2017-2018 (collected between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018) and monitoring results.
Information on how B-4B was used in Determinations can be found on the Determinations resource page of this training site.
What is the target?
- Using the Report of District Data for B-4
- Indicator Overview 4A & 4B
- MI School Data Special Education Public Reporting — For detailed information about B-4B, click on the indicator name.
- IDEA Regulations Related to Suspension/Expulsion — Scroll down to the Discipline Procedures section.
- Procedural Safeguards Notice
- APR Definition: Percent of districts with disproportionate representation of racial and ethnic groups in specific disability categories that is the result of inappropriate identification. (20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3)(C))
- Calculation: [(# of districts with disproportionate representation of racial and ethnic groups in specific disability categories that is the result of inappropriate identification) divided by the (# of districts in the State)] times 100
- Calculation Notes: The Office of Special Education (OSE) used a weighted risk ratio (WRR) to calculate disproportionate representation for a school district when the district’s population reflected the same racial/ethnic distribution as that of the state.A risk ratio (RR) was used instead of a WRR to determine disproportionate representation when the racial/ethnic distribution of the district’s student population varied significantly from the state racial/ethnic distribution. This ratio was more appropriate, because it compared identification rates by race/ethnicity with the district’s student population.An alternate risk ratio (ARR) was used to determine disproportionate representation for a particular racial/ethnic subgroup when there were fewer than 10 students with disabilities in all other racial/ethnic sub-groups (disability comparison subgroup). The OSE recognized that it was not appropriate to forego use of the ARR in favor of the RR.Procedures for Calculation of Local Educational Agency (LEA) Disproportionate Representation was refined to provide greater clarity about the use of the WRR, RR and ARR.