This guide is intended for Catamaran Coordinators and explains how to complete the Waiver Application activity in Catamaran. This guide is also intended for Catamaran Coordinators at ISDs operating programs. The waiver application activity is used to create and submit applications to waive program rules under the Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education (MARSE) in a secure electronic format which will ensure greater consistency and efficiency.
- Log in to Catamaran.
- On the Dashboard, click on the Policy tile and then locate the Create Waiver Application button on the Policy homepage to create the activity.
- From the activity menu, click on the Waiver Application link. This will take you to the first page of the waiver application.
- First, complete the waiver information form including contact information, the waiver application type, and the rule for which the waiver application is being submitted. Click Save/Next to load the additional pages.
- The Waiver Application is made up of 4 total pages (only 3 pages are required if requesting a waiver from Rule 340.1758(a) – Teacher Requirement or Rule 390.1105(3) – Teacher Endorsement Flexibility). Complete each page and all required questions.
- Supporting documentation is required as part of every waiver application. Be prepared and have these documents ready for upload prior to starting the activity.
- When all pages are complete, submit the waiver application using the Submit to MDE button on the assurances page.
- The MDE will receive the waiver application for review. If any revisions are needed, the waiver application will be returned, the district will be notified, and the activity will show up on the Tasks Overview.
- Review each page for comments made by the MDE to understand what revisions are needed.
- When finished, click Resubmit to MDE.
- When a decision is made by the MDE, the requesting district and ISD will be notified. A decision letter signed by the State Superintendent will be sent via mail and will also be available under the Review section of the Waiver Application Menu.
There may be a situation where the district or ISD may wish to cancel the Waiver Application activity. To do this,
- Select the Cancel Waiver button available on the Waiver Assurance Statements page.
- Catamaran will then cancel the Waiver Application activity, and a confirmation email will be sent to the district.
There may be a situation where the district or ISD may wish to withdraw the Waiver Application activity after the Submitted to MDE status. To do this,
- Select the Waiver Application Withdrawal Form on the Waiver Application Menu.
- When all fields on the Waiver Application Withdrawal Form are complete, submit the waiver application using the Submit to MDE button at the top of the page.
- When the withdrawal is acknowledged by the MDE, a Waiver Withdrawal Letter will be sent and available on the Waiver Application Menu.