This how-to document is intended for the Monitoring team and will provide an overview of how to complete the Monitoring Review process in Catamaran. Please review this resource in its entirety before beginning the activity as further explanation and resources are mentioned later in the How To.
Access the Monitoring Review Activity
- Log in to Catamaran
- The Monitoring Review will be on your Tasks Overview on the Dashboard page. You may also use the Search function to find the Monitoring Review. It will be at the status, Select On-site/Virtual.
- Click on the Activity.
Choose to Monitor On-site or Virtually
- From the Monitoring Review Menu, choose the District Upload
- On the District Upload page, choose whether the Monitoring Review will be on-site or virtual by clicking one of the buttons at the top of the page.
Prepare for the Monitoring Review
- From the Monitoring Review Menu, select Monitoring Documents, located in the Resources box on the right-hand side of the page.
- On the Monitoring Documents page, you can view resources that will help you prepare for the Monitoring Review. These documents will include the Notification Letter to the district and student list.
Select Student Records
The district will have verified which students are currently enrolled in their district
- From the Monitoring Review Menu, choose MDE Student Selection to see a list of students at the district.
- Select those you wish to review by clicking the box to the left of each student’s name.
- After selecting the students, click Save & Create. This will create the Student Record Reviews (SRRs).
The method for reviewing the student records will depend on whether the Monitoring Review is on-site or virtual.
- If the Monitoring Review is on-site, you may complete the SRR when meeting with the district and reviewing the student documentation in person.
- If the Monitoring Review is virtual, the district will need to upload student documentation that corresponds to the selected students. For more information about reviewing uploaded information, please see the Additional Actions for Virtual Monitoring Reviews
- From the Monitoring Review Menu page, click the Student Record Review
- The students’ demographic information will be pre-populated at the top of the form. If this information is incorrect, you may update the text fields
- To complete the SRR, click the appropriate buttons under the Yes or No columns and complete text fields as necessary.
- To complete and save the form, you must indicate whether a Student Level Corrective Action Plan (SLCAP) is needed for the student. Select Yes, No, or N/A in the box at the bottom of the form.
- A correctable No will result in an SLCAP and will populate in the Findings Table on the Final Report Worksheet
- An uncorrectable No will populate in the Findings Table on the Final Report Worksheet.
- Repeat this process for each SRR. To move on to another student, select the next student from the dropdown menu in the upper right-hand corner of your screen and click
- Save saves that SRR
- Save/Next saves that SRR and takes to the next form on the menu
- Update Student Selection will take you back to student selection to add students
- Save & Issue is the status change when you’ve completed all SRRs and the Procedure Review
Retrieve Uploaded Procedures
The Monitoring Lead should review the uploaded procedures alongside student records
- Access the uploaded procedures by clicking on the District Upload
- From the District Upload page, you may download each document by clicking on the document name link.
Resource: Monitoring District Upload Status Report
This query will show you a list of districts and whether they have opted out from uploading their procedures.
- Access the report from the Reports page available under your name in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Click the Monitoring District Upload Status Report link on the Reports page under the Administrative Reports heading
- Choose the release to query upon (Monitoring Review) and the format in which you would like your query results (Excel or on screen).
- Click Go
Complete Procedure Review Form
During your review of the uploaded procedures, complete the Procedure Review form.
- Access the Procedure Review from the Monitoring Review Menu
- Review the procedures and click the appropriate buttons under the Yes or No columns and complete text fields as necessary.
- If applicable, indicate a page number and section in the Comments box for any No answers
- Click Save & Issue on either the Procedure Review form or the Both forms must be complete to proceed.
Resource: Student Record Review Summary
After completing all the SRRs, a Student Record Review Summary is available to you from the Monitoring Review Page. This may help your team review the SRRs in the aggregate.
- From the Monitoring Review Menu, click the Student Record Review Summary
- Choose the format in which you would like the results (Excel or on screen) and click
- Click Close This Page to close the summary page.
Additional Actions for Virtual Monitoring Reviews
Review Interview Summary
If the Monitoring Review occurred virtually, the ISD will have conducted and recorded an interview summary. The Monitoring Lead should review the interview summary during the Monitoring Review process before completing the Final Report Worksheet.
- Access the Interview Summary from the Monitoring Review Menu.
- Review the information recorded in the Interview Summary and contact the ISD with any need for clarification.
Review Uploaded Student Information
You may access the uploaded student information in two ways:
The Student Documentation Page
Using an individual Monitoring Review Student Documentation Page may be useful if reviewing student documentation from one review and organization at a time.
- Access the Student Documentation Page from the Monitoring Review Menu
- Download each documentation item by clicking on the document link
- Use the dropdown menu to navigate between student records and gather all documents from each student record.
The File Export Tool:
Using the File Export Tool may be useful if reviewing student documentation for multiple organizations at the same time.
- Access the File Export Tool from the Administration page available under your name in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Use the dropdown menu to choose the document type.
- Choose the document type instance, organizations, and page you’d like to export from (Student Documentation).
- Click Execute to run the export.
- Access a zipped file that includes the exported documents from the table at the bottom of the page.
Resource: SLCAP Summary
Before moving on to the Preliminary Summary, review the SLCAP Summary. This summary allows you to see all potential SLCAPs at once. You may choose to use this summary to count instances of noncompliance, which you’ll need to record on the Preliminary Summary.
- From the Monitoring Review Menu, click on SLCAP Summary.
- Choose the format in which you would like your summary results.
- After making your selections, select Go in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- A pop-up will appear asking, “Do you want to open or save this file?” Make your selection, and the SLCAP Summary will open.
- To return to the Monitoring Review Menu, click the Close This Page button at the top of the page.
Complete the Preliminary Summary
- From the Monitoring Review Menu, select Preliminary Summary
- The district and ISD codes will be pre-populated on the form.
- Record the date of summary and review date(s).
- Enter the name and title of all members of the Monitoring Review team. You may add another row by clicking the red plus sign button.
- Record the areas for consideration.
- Record the number of student-level findings identified.
- Click Save & Issue to:
- Issue SLCAPs to districts
- Make this form available to district
- Make Final Report Worksheet available to complete next.
Complete Final Report Worksheet
The last step in the Monitoring Review process is for a Monitoring Lead is to complete the Final Report Worksheet.
- Select Final Report Worksheet from the Monitoring Review Menu. The district and ISD codes and date of report will be pre-populated.
- Record the Review Date
- Enter the number of records the team reviewed and how many staff members the team interviewed.
- In the box labeled Team Leader Recommendation, select a button to indicate whether the district should receive a finding.
- If the Monitoring Review yielded no findings of noncompliance, click Save & Submit. The worksheet is now completed.
- If the Monitoring Review yielded findings of noncompliance, finalize the Findings Table. This table will prepopulate.
- Click Display to display each row in the Final Report.
- When you are done, click Save & Submit.
The OSE will review the Monitoring Review activity and Final Report Worksheet to determine whether to issue findings. The findings will be issued in the next major release of Catamaran (major releases are September, January, and May).