This training resource is intended for ISDs and will explain how to verify correction of Monitoring Review Corrective Action Plans (CAPs). A CAP is the result of a state monitoring process in which noncompliance has been identified at a district. ISDs are required to verify that districts have corrected noncompliance identified in the CAP.
Catamaran will notify ISDs when it is time to verify evidence of correction. The system will email you when the district has requested CAP closeout and changed the status to Verification and Closeout Request Submitted. At that time, the verification activity will also appear on the ISD task list.
- Log in to Catamaran
- On your Tasks Overview, you will see any CAPs that have been submitted to you for verification. CAPs ready to be verified will be at the status Verification & Closeout Request Submitted to ISD.
- Click on the CAP link in the Activity column.
The Verification Appendix is used to document your review of student records to determine if the noncompliant practice has been corrected.
- From the CAP Menu page, select the Verification Appendix
- Enter the date of the verification visit.
- Review new student records to confirm the district has correctly implemented all areas of noncompliance. Enter the student information per reviewed student records in Appendix 1.
- If no student records are available, conduct staff interviews to ensure an understanding of compliant practice. Enter the staff member information per staff interviews in Appendix 2.
- If there is any unrelated noncompliance (such as a reviewed student record that was found to be noncompliant during the verification process), enter the student information required in Appendix 3.
- After completing the necessary appendices, click
If revising procedures were a part of the district’s CAP, the ISD must review and upload the newly revised procedures during the verification of correction. MDE will evaluate these uploaded procedures in their final review process.
If the Procedures Have Been Correctly Revised
Upload the newly revised procedures to the TA Notes page using the Browse button.
If the Procedures Have Not Been Correctly Revised
Work with the district to achieve compliance, then upload the correct procedures to the TA Notes page.
The Verification Worksheet is used to summarize the findings from your review of student records.
- From the CAP Menu page, select the CAP Verification Worksheet
- If you have verified that all noncompliance has been corrected, select “Closeout of Findings of Noncompliance.” Otherwise, select “Non-closeout of Findings of noncompliance”. If you are unsure of which to select, contact the MDE Monitoring Unit.
- Enter the date on which you are completing the report.
- Enter your name on the Responsible Party at ISD
- Document the correction of noncompliance for each finding listed in the text box provided.
- Select the appropriate paragraph to be displayed (corrected or uncorrected).
- Click Submit Verification to submit the closeout request to MDE for review.
- When the MDE returns the CAP to the ISD, the ISD will be notified via email and the task will reappear on their Tasks Overview. The status will be, Closeout Request Returned to ISD. Visit the Cover Page for details of the MDE’s request.
- Make any requested changes and upload any requested documentation on the Verification Appendix. The ISD may be required to review and verify student records again.
- Re-submit the CAP to MDE from the Verification Worksheet page. The status will then be, Closeout Request Resubmitted to MDE. The MDE will perform a final review and close the CAP.
- The MDE may return the CAP to the ISD again with additional questions, if necessary. If the MDE is satisfied with the CAP Verification, they will close the CAP. The status will then be, Verified and Closed by MDE.